Off-grid energy technologies include microgrids( running on various sources of energy like solar, biomass as well as hybrid sources), solar home systems, small wind systems, pico-hydro systems, biomass cookstoves, biogas plants etc. Each of these technologies offer different products and services that come with their own technical specifications. Not only do they need to meet minimum quality standards but they also need to do it with as much efficiency as possible given the size of the systems. The fact that many of these technologies do not rely on continuous supply of electricity also means that energy storage technologies become critical for optimum performance.
- A plethora of products and services are available in the market but without quality assurance and reliable certification.
- On the other hand, there are quite a few certification options available in the market and there is need to clarify and communicate the methodology of each.
- Quality products, wherever available, have to compete against much lower priced options in the market as well as the past experience of consumers, which is often negative.
- CLEAN coordinates among different industry standards and certifications to communicate reliable quality standards to its members and their end users.
- We undertake research to establish benchmarks for each technology.
- We facilitate collaboration between manufacturers, R&D institutions and practitioners to innovate in existing technologies.