Clean Energy Access Network (CLEAN) is a member-oriented association of organisations engaged in the Decentralized Energy sector in India. CLEAN seeks to be a unifying association with a clear mandate to support and grow the decentralized clean energy sector in India. Over time it is envisaged that CLEAN will not only become the go-to entity for decentralized clean energy sector in India but will also become a go-to point for members of the sector internationally. CLEAN has been established to help entrepreneurs and organisations overcome sector specific challenges and create a platform to project the needs and priorities of the sector by bringing together practitioners and all stakeholders in the energy ecosystem.
The need for CLEAN arises from the fact that, while there are a number of enterprises that are involved in addressing the energy access gaps in India, the replicability and scalability of solutions is often a barrier to their growth in addition to the absence of an enabling environment or a supportive ecosystem.
CLEAN is technology and scale agnostic (e.g. biomass, solar, pico hydro and ranging from pico solutions, through to larger decentralized energy solutions) and represents organisations both in electricity and non- electricity energy. It delivers five core sets of services: Policy Engagement, Access to Finance, Skills and Training, Technology and Innovation, and Information & Networking Opportunities.
The Network brings together practitioners, with membership from other supporters of the decentralized energy ecosystem such as research organizations, financial institutions, relevant private sector companies, think tanks and funders. It emphasizes on the decentralized, clean energy access space that reaches out to underserved communities across India. Recognizing that the reach of decentralized renewable applications goes beyond just electricity generation, the Alliance also develops activities on, mechanical and thermal applications focusing on end-uses including cooking, lighting, and other domestic needs as well as water pumping and energy needs of small-scale industry and other livelihoods activities.
Associate- Access to Finance
Location: New Delhi, India
Reports to: Manager- Policy & Finance
Key job responsibilities for the role are described below:
● Coordinate with practitioners to develop a ground-level understanding of credit needs of enterprises as well as their end users; Engage with members to understand the impacts of policy announcements, ease of doing business, regulations, and other related issues
● Synthesise information from the above and develop recommendations particularly related to the financing needs within the DRE sector
● Engage with Investors and Financial Institutions – Banks and MFIs – to understand barriers and enablers for smoother flow of investment and debt to DRE entrepreneurs as well as credit to end-users
● Identify and analyse the role of various financing instruments and institutional structures to better address the risk perception of the DRE sector
● Conduct financial analysis using both primary and secondary data, sourced from various existing government and non-government data sources as well as from CLEAN members to contribute towards evidence based policy planning
● Regularly review and critically analyse flow of investments, both domestic and international as well as budgetary allocations to the DRE sector at both the national and state levels
● Develop a strong understanding of the linkages between energy access provision and developmental sphere such as livelihoods, agriculture, health and education to enable cross-utilization of funds
● Engage actively with relevant Ministries, Apex Banking institutions, leading Micro-credit agencies, Investors, Debt Funds and Government Institutions to represent the needs of the off-grid sector; Advocate for creation of relevant schemes and pilot mechanisms that can support credit flow into the sector
● Build mechanisms for monitoring deliverables and budget utilization at a project level
● Regular written outputs in the form of papers, reports, policy briefs, as well as articles in other newspapers and online media
● Organize outreach activities that bring various groups of stakeholders together
Core Competencies and requirements:
● Masters in Economics/Finance or MBA (Finance)/CFA or related subject areas
● At least 1-2 years of work experience in finance/micro credit/financial management preferably in the energy or development sectors, in roles involving understanding and engagement with various levels of financial institutions – micro credit agencies, banking institutions and investors
● Experience in financial modelling would be preferred
● Highly motivated, responsible, self-directed, resourceful and flexible; Ability to multi-task and work in tandem with the team towards achieving larger objectives
● Interest in Energy Access and ability to integrate issues across a range of related areas and engage with a variety of stakeholders
● Good written, communication and presentation skills
● Good working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint)
● Willingness to travel for 4-6 days in a month, including rural locations
● Strong working knowledge of English and spoken Hindi; Additionally, knowledge of other regional languages is desirable
● Salary will be commensurate with experience/qualifications and in line with the organizational structure
Those interested, please apply: firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a Cover letter articulating your interest in the position. Please mention the Job title in the subject line. For additional information about the genesis, focus areas and some of the ongoing work of CLEAN, please visit www.thecleannetwork.org
CLEAN is an equal opportunity employers and does not discriminate candidates based on their age, gender, caste, origin or colour.